Tuesday, April 29, 2008

For and Against: Volume 4 - April

What I'm for: "April in the 'D'"

Fox Sports Net Detroit has been running an "April in the D" commercial/slogan (see 'Related Videos' above). "The D" is a nickname for Detroit and FSN Detroit has been running the spot because April is an exciting months for sports in the city of Detroit. You have the NHL and NBA playoffs starting and the MLB season commences as well.

I am looking forward to Detroit playing in the NHL playoffs more than anything. My greatest sports memories growing up were watching the Wings win 3 Stanley Cups (that and watching Barry Sanders play on TV and in the Silverdome against the Bears). I also have a special spot for the Wings because they train in Traverse City and I always used to skip to watch them train at Centre ICE in the fall. The Red Wings are the 1 and are up 2-0 on arch rival Colorado - remember how much these two teams hated each other? Each game was a angst-filld-slugfest. Detroit already beat Nashville in round 1 4 games to 2.



Honestly, I couldn't care less about the NBA or the Pistons during the regular season, but I will watch them during the playoffs. If they lose I'll be a little upset, but I won't lose any sleep over it. They are tied 2-2 with the Sixers in their first round match, but they are expected to get to the Conference finals to play against the Boston Celtics! What a classic match-up that would be. Read this article about possible classic playoff match-ups by Bill Simmons.

Finally you have the Tigers. Coming into the season they were almost a lock to win the AL Central, but an 0-7 start thwarted those thoughts. They have turned it around, but they are still a few games under .500. It's only April, so no need to panic. And how fun is it to watch the lineup we have? We dropped 37 runs on the Texas Rangers in a three game series...37!

April is also an exciting sports month outside of Detroit. You have the NFL Draft, the MLS season starts, and the Champions League knockout stages are in full swing. What a month for sports!

What I'm against: April in TC...

...as in Traverse City. The weather is so up and down! It was just in the 70's last week and today it snowed! We have a frost advisory for tonight! This weather is crazy. I've got to play a softball game tonight in 30 degree weather with the chance of snow! If only I were in the islands! Oh well, summer seems to be just around the corner! Hopefully May brings warmer, more consistent weather.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by Justin.

I'm not much for organized professional sports but I'm going to scroll through your blog. If you don't mind.