Friday, May 2, 2008

News: Rebel B.S.

Check out this video news bit about a store in Florida that has banned an employee's confederate-flag-toting truck from the company parking lot. Good for them. The company states they prohibit "rude, abusive, hostile or intimidating" expression. The confederate flag definitely falls under this category.

Do people really not understand what the confederate flag stands for? Don't give me the "Southern Pride" b.s. The confederate flag stands for the confederated who were fighting to keep their slaves as their sub-human servants. I'm not sure how people can look past this? The swastika was once an aboriginal sign for peace, but those feelings certainly aren't evoked today when a swastika is displayed. The same goes for the confederate flag. People can hide behind the "Southern Pride" excuse all they want, but you can't whine when you are held accountable for your actions or when you are judged based on the things you choose say, do, or display.

On a more personal note: A few weeks ago I was at my dad's work and saw a truck with a confederate flag license plate and another truck with a confederate flag decal (this truck also had a decal mentioning something about "Coon Hunting"). I couldn't believe it! My dad said the "Coon Hunting" decal was about raccoon hunting, but what I saw was a something completely different; it looked like a dog adorned in KKK attire. I'm going to try to get a picture up.

I think my friend Nick said it best the other day: "People think we've come a long way, but we really haven't." Sad, but true.

No comments: