Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween


Halloween has famously occupied October 31st on for centuries. But little does anyone know that on that date a year ago a man was born; A man born with the perfect blend of faux integrity and humor that the date and celebrations must be shared. October 31st marks the birth of a legend: Uncle Dusty. So please just keep in mind that while there are millions of kids across America trick or treating this Halloween there also is a man kicking his feet up in his hot tub he bought at employee discount, drinking an ice cold bottle of PBR, and hoping for an imitation gold bracelet for his birthday.

On Saturday I went to Kyle's Halloween Party. My costume this year was Prince Ali from Aladdin. The costume was a hit, but there were a few idiots who said some idiotic, ignorant, racist things and thought it was completely normal. It is idiots like this that really piss me off and make me hate this part of the state - although I'm sure it isn't limited to just Western Michigan. But Ann Arbor was much more of a liberal, open-minded, accepting environment.

Anyways, I didn't let it ruin my night and had a great time. Some coworkers from La Senorita came to the party too which I enjoyed. I feel like I am a totally different person outside of work (although I am becoming more and more comfortable as I get to know everyone a little better).

Not much planned this week. I have to work and I am going to sign up to substitute teach. I'll have more to update after my interview with the Peace Corps in Chicago on Monday. Take it easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Dusty is truly a legend. I heard he once sold a hot tub to a man that was allergic to water all while doing a keg stand for 12 minutes. The keg was PBR, bt-dubs.
I was lucky enough to have been there the night Uncle Dusty was born, and it sure was magical...stars were out, fresh cases of PBR and Milwaukee's Best were ordered, and even the local bums came to take a gander at a local unsung hero. Tomorrow, not only will I celebrate the haunting spirits of Halloween, or Las Dìas de los Muertos, but I too will be rejoicing in the birth of a true American hero...Uncle Dusty.