Monday, January 12, 2009

From the Journal: Jan. 1, 2009



Preface: For Christmas I received a nice journal. For the most part, this blog has been my journal, but I haven't had much time to update it. It has been much easier to write in this new journal and I have been able to write things in there that I probably can't, or at least shouldn't, here. Periodically I will share an entry and then maybe reflect or update a bit. Enjoy.




Jan. 1, 2009




I've decide to quit my job at the Fund. I'm depressed and I think my job is the center of this. I work so many hours that I can't enjoy these new places I live. I make so little money that I am constantly worried about how to pay my bills. I'm not able to save anything for my travel ambitions. I'm just miserable. So it is time to move on to something new.




New Years was nothing special. I didn't have a good time. I didn't have a bad time. 2008 was an awesome year overall. I mean I helped to get a black man elected president. I hope 10 or 20 years from now I will be able to understand and appreciate what that means. I coached, I taught, and I worked.




2009 is going to be a year for me. I'm going to do the things I want to do. I'm not going to have a New Years Resolution. I think it may be more of a new life resolution.. I hate the way that sounds, but it is the only way I can put it to words. What do I want to accomplish in 2009?




  • Travel Abroad


  • Go to Hawai'i


  • Go to a soccer game


  • Pay off my debt by June 1


  • Run a 15k with Josh


I know I need to get a new job. This needs to happen soon. I want to be a better, healthier person overall. This means less drinking. More reading. More writing. More time in nature. I think quitting this job is a step towards all of this.



Update: My last day at the Fund was last Friday. I'll miss the people I work with, but they will understand. As far as a new job goes, I applied for a position with the City of Seattle as the Recreation Leader. I will be responsible for planning, preparing, and implementing recreational activities for at-risk youth and disabled adults. This is right up my alley and I have passed the first round of examinations. I should know more by the end of the week.



Ashley has also moved out which has been a lot of fun. It is good to have family and company.



No comments: